Sunday, May 3, 2015

Wait! It's been how long?

Ellen has decided that we as a family need to start writing in a journal.  Since keeping a blog is sort of a journal then that is where I'll write. It's been about six years since I last wrote. There is no way that I can write all that has happened so I'll start with yesterday and tell you what went on.

Kennan is a senior and is running track. The team went to the BYU track meet this past weekend. Friday, Kennan did the long jump. He didn't do so well. He couldn't find his mark. Kennan doing the long jump is an interesting story. This is his first year doing it. At the beginning of the season Kennan asked the coaches if he could try it. Coach Teichert told him sure as long as it didn't interfere with his long distance training. So a month went by and Kennan got his chance in practice. He went farther than any of the kids who have been jumping. He got his first competitive chance at the Skyview track meet. His first jump he went 18' 3". Second jump he went 18' 8". His last jump he went 18' 11". He almost qualified for state!! So now he gets to do long jump. But I digress. He didn't jump well at BYU. 

Saturday he ran the 1600. Coach Teichert had him on pace to try for the school record which is something like 4:35 set by Nathan Fiscus back in like 2004. He ran a 4:38, second fastest time in school history. He said that was the first time he felt like puking after a race. He was scheduled to run the 800 and try to break the school record but they pulled him out. He ran in the 4 X 400 with Cole Jackman, James Teichert, and Jace Petersen. They shattered the school record. They ran a 3:30, beating the time by two seconds. So it was a good day. Jace just missed the school record in the discus by 6 inches, Cole missed the 3200 by four seconds, James almost tied the pole vault record, but those four broke the record in the 4 X 4.

Ellen is doing good. She is in the Relief Society presidency. I was released as a bishop a year ago in April. My new calling is family history center director. I've been it for the past year and I love it. I finally got Ellen interested in family history. Now she is making us write in journals. There was a video that was made by the Church's FHC. It explained the difference between family history and genealogy. Go here for the link to watch it:
It's about the dash. It is amazing what the Church has done and is doing with family history. Ellen likes the histories, she is taping mom as she tells Ellen about her history. We hope to get it published soon.

Kennan has submitted his papers for his mission. We hope his call will come sometime this week. He will graduate later this month. Hard to believe our baby is all grown up and Ellen and I will be empty nesters. 

My goal is through out my writing I'll catch you up on things, but for now, I'm done.

No comments: